Pages

Friday, April 26, 2013

I'm hip. I'm "with it." Ducka ducka ducka...

Happy Friday!

Recently I have learned that I am exponentially uncool. Now, I've never been one of the "cool kids," but I did have somewhat of a nerdy chic thing going on for a while there. Now, with  life revolving around life insurance, mommyhood and my lack of cable, I have found that I am generally at least a month behind everyone else when it comes to trendy things. 

I've had the song "Thrift Shop" stuck in my head for the last hour. Have you heard it? Of course you have. Every one has. Thrift stores were quoting it on their signs months ago. People are sick of it. I'm not. I'm just now into it. I learned about Gangnam style from my friend Katie's facebook, and had to text her to ask what it was. I still don't understand twitter. 

Recently before our chosen loss of cable, my friends and I caught the MTV Music awards. None of us knew half of the people presenting/singing/winning. I am behind. the. times. 

If I weren't way closer to 30 than 20, this would be bother me. I once read a study saying that people generally establish who they are going to be by age 27. Now, I can't say that the moment I turned 27 I thought "I know exactly who I am, and what I believe in, and what I like." But I do agree to some extent that my opinions were pretty concrete by that point. Most of them my husband would tell you are silly. I don't like it when guys play the acoustic guitar. I don't trust people with Italian brown eyes. I'm ok with facebook being the last social technology I care to learn, and I hate it when Mark Z changes it up on me. I get disgusted when I go into a liquor store and the sign that says what date you must be born on or before to purchase alcohol is in the 1990s. 

I've actually said on multiple occasions that "music today is terrible." Honestly, most of the time the first time I hear of a song is if they cover it on Glee. I still haven't seen Les Mis. I tried to read a plot summary on wikipedia, but even it was too long to hold my attention. 

I guess I'm ok with how I am now. Sure, sometimes I miss being able to stay up all night, or catching Cocina's happy hour whenever the mood strikes me, but my new life of diapers and bottle sterilizing is ok too. I still have Glee. I still have wine. I still have Just Dance 4 for the Wii, even if I haven't had the energy to try it out yet. (This weekend, I swear!) I still have amazing friends who knew me when I could stay up all night, and could go on "Spring concert tours" (Now THAT I really miss!)

Happy Friday everyone! Be happy with the life you have in this moment, and be happy with the changes that will eventually come your way. Even if it too, makes you "exponentially" uncool.

No comments:

Post a Comment