Pages

Friday, July 5, 2013

New Beginnings

It's 6:30(ish) on a Friday night, and I'm sitting here blogging with a warm cup of french vanilla coffee while my sweet baby naps in her swing and the hubs plays some crazy old school pixelated PS1 game.

And I couldn't be more content. I'm not living some wild life (unless you count drinking coffee at 6:30pm crazytown, woot woot!) but I'm thankful for these little luxuries. Last I left you, my future was uncertain at best. I had just been let go of my job, which was a total shock to my system. Now I know I'm not great at certain things - sports, cleaning up immediately after myself, blow drying my hair in the morning, for example - but I've never been told that I wasn't doing enough at my job. I've always had a strong work ethic. I've been working since I was 17, and was never one to party one night and call in sick the next, or blow off work for any other reason than a legitimate illness or planned vacation- for which I would always ask way in advance.

I try to be on time, and focus on my tasks each day, despite what might be happening in my personal life. As you know, sometimes that can be so hard. I've learned that one the hard way, unfortunately.

Anyway, I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to pick up right where I left off in the position I held before. I went to the meeting with my former boss, surprisingly nervous about how much I wanted this to work out. Not because it had to - I mean, I have a baby to support, but because I liked what I did. Yes, yes, I complain about my work like any other red-blooded 'Merican, but in all honestly, I've always liked the company, the people, and the work. And I was good at it. At least, I always thought so.

To cut this short, I'll just say the meeting went well. I was offered the position on the spot, and with a slight but significant raise from what I was making when I left it. I was ecstatic! It felt like going home.

Even though I've been there for three years, two positions and four, (yes, FOUR) offices, coming full circle feels like a step forward in the right direction. I start Monday, and I'm nervous as to how things will go, but excited about the advantage I have that I've never had in any new job - I know what I'm doing already.  I've done this before and won't feel totally lost.

For now, I'm going to enjoy my weekend. It's the first one we've had in a while where we have zero plans. It's supposed to thunderstorm, which makes for a perfect time snuggling with my boo and baby boo. Happy Friday to all! Thanks for listening, as always. May your weekend be as relaxing and uneventful as I hope mine to be. We all need a break, right?

Love,
Dominique

No comments:

Post a Comment