Pages

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Lord, Help Me.

Good afternoon, ya'll! And Happy Wednesday!

I was going to write a post about protecting my daughter from social media. About how I am going to teach her the dangers of the technological world we live in, and how apps like Snapchat and Facebook can ruin her future in a half-second.

But I'm going to go a little bit deeper than that. The fact is, if I can teach her to have common sense, modesty, and a respect for others, then I won't ever have to worry about what she is going to throw out there on social media.

Children are born innocent. Issues like bigotry and immodesty are taught, not genetic. So here are some of the things I am going to try to teach my daughter about our world:

1) Be open-minded.  Generalizing about an entire population is only hurting you. When you refuse to befriend, employ, or assist someone who is a different color, race, religion or sexual orientation than you, you could potentially be missing out a huge opportunity for an amazing friend. Reserve your judgement for after you meet them and get to know them.

2) Be modest. No, I don't wish we were back in the age of Victorian dresses and petticoats. Wear tank tops, wear shorts, wear bikinis (when you're older. No bikinis till you're older.)But have some sense, my darling girl. A little bit of shoulder can be more appealing than an entire wardrobe of decolletage. Take pride in your appearance, and remember that your private life can stay private. Remember that the whole world is watching.

3) Be smart. Know your surroundings, know your true friends. Know your limits, your boundaries and your   standards. Know that only you have the power over your own reputation, and you'll be so thankful one day to have been considered one of the boring ones. You are not boring. You are mysterious. You are multi-faceted, and you don't let just anyone know all of your secrets.

4) Be sorry. You are going to mess up. You are going to do or wear regretful things. You are going to be embarrassed and ashamed. Learn from these moments. Remember how they made you feel, and be determined to no longer feel that way again. Let your true friends comfort you. Listen to them. Listen to me. I have been there and recovered.

5) Be humble. Know when you need to ask for help. There is no shame in it. It is brilliant to ask for help. You are only smarter for knowing to do so. If you are unsure of a situation, or are wary of place or person, trust your gut. Get out of there in any way you can. Even if it means calling me at 3am to come get you. I promise to park in a discreet place and never let on that I am there. :)

6) Be courageous. This is the most important. You will be picked on because of some of your choices. You may not be popular, or you may be called boring, or you may be ostracized because you are standing up for what you believe it. These situations will become less and less frequent as you grow. It's amazing how little all of it matters when you are older.

I hope I can stand by these things. I hope that I can raise my kids to have all of these values, and also have the strength to let go and see if they listen. And on a last note, I hope SnapChat goes completely bankrupt.

Happy Wednesday!

Love,
Dominique






No comments:

Post a Comment