Pages

Thursday, August 14, 2014

18 Months of Parenting - What I've Learned

Good afternoon and happy Thursday!

Well baby boo is 18 months old today. It seems like just yesterday we were celebrating her survival of her first year on this world, and I was getting teary-eyed looking over all of her month-to-month pictures and how much she has changed.

She continues to grow at exponential rates, as children tend to do. And although these past 6 months have flown by, a lot has changed with her, with me and with our family as a whole. So without further ado, here's what I now know as a parent of 18 months:

1) At some point, the stern looks that used to terrify me about my own mother had started periodically showing up on my own face, and V knows to zip it and sit down. Her understanding of my words and actions is getting more and more apparent, and so is my understanding that she definitely inherited my stubbornness.
 
2) It's ok if I leave her unprotected for a few minutes. I no longer find it necessary to keep the door open when I am home alone in the bathroom, or put her in the pack n play to run down to the basement for literally two minutes and throw a load of clothes in. Sure, I've found her on the fireplace a few times, and if I hear any kind of loud noise I come zipping back, but for the most part, she is fine.

3) The TV is my saving grace to keep her distracted. Everything is a battle these days. Getting dressed, changing diapers, putting on socks and shoes. If she has to be still for more than 5 seconds, I better have some PBS kids on somewhere. I am totally guilty of putting it on my phone and letting her watch it while I lotion her after bath, but hey-a mama's gotta do what a mama's gotta do.

4) Bumps, bruises, cuts and scrapes are a part of life now, and probably will be for a while. The first time your child gets a "goose egg" on their forehead from a lost battle with the coffee table, you want to wrap them in bubble wrap, and seriously consider getting rid of the coffee table. Even if it's a beautiful, antique family heirloom that means more to you than any other piece of furniture in your house. Or, it's from craigslist, which is the case with mine. But it hurt your baby, and it needs to go. Eventually I learned that my baby deer is just not going to be that steady on her feet, and if there's no blood involved, it's not really worth worrying over.

5) Sharing is caring, and not really an "option" once they are walking. My husband always wonders why I choose to carefully plan my meals around when V is asleep, and the answer is simple. I don't want to always share what I am eating. If I do get ravenous enough to grab a snack in her vicinity, I know that I'll have those baby blues staring up at me with her sweetest face while she looks at me like "are you gonna eat alllll that cheese?" Yes. Now leave me alone.

6) Seasons are too short and babies grow too fast to not hit up every consignment sale you can possibly find. I dream of the day when I am finished having kids, and I can become one of those awesome consignor moms who are in it to get rid of boxes upon boxes of outgrown rompers and be first in line for other's gently used hand me downs. For now, I can only be part of the "public sales." I went to my first consignment sale this past spring, and practically everything V wore this summer was bought for $1-$3. And it was glorious. GLORIOUS.

7) Facebook can be more helpful than a call to a nurse. If you have a serious issue - call the nurse. Go to the doctor. But more minor things like bug bites or a rash, a quick pic to the ol' news feed will come up with a plethora of diagnoses from moms who have been there, done that. I usually call the nurse and then hit of the fb while I am waiting for my return call. And often, the moms are correct. Even when you don't want them to be, like when Violet got terrible hand foot and mouth. You called it, ladies. And I didn't want to believe it.

8) Here's the big one - I am finally ready to consider a second baby. As things have progressed, I find myself asking less and less questions, becoming more patient with issues, and transitioning with change a lot easier. This has led me to having the thoughts that I could handle this AND a newborn without wanting to throw up. Sure, I know it wouldn't be easy, and I've recently confessed to hubs that I'm not sure I can imagine anything taking my focus off of V. But I also know that even if we got pregnant soon, she will have grown more and become even more independent by the time I would have to juggle the two. So, I don't know - the possibility is there.

thanks everyone as always. Have a wonderful afternoon and a great rest of your week!

Love,
Dominique



No comments:

Post a Comment