Pages

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Sorry, Not Sorry

Good morning!

I know I've been absent for over a week now. It's not for lack of things to talk about, but more that I have so much jumbled in this tiny head of mine that I haven't been able to focus much on any one thing. So, I decided to file it all away and talk about something that really bothers me lately.

Now, I just may be overly sensitive (hey, I've been accused of it before), but lately I have been seeing a lot of posts from various sources aimed at the "anti-children" movement. Some of are meant in jest, some are more serious, some are just plain crazy, but they all have one thing in common: An unapologetic open letter basically sticking it to anyone who chose to have kids.

Now, I must say, I agree with the articles that focus on the "it's no one's business if I want kids or when." kind of message. They are absolutely right. Kids aren't for everyone, and you never know someone's secret struggle. And of course it's ok to not want kids. Why wouldn't it be?

But to attack the parenting world with posts like "Top 10 Things You Wish your Friends with Kids Would Stop Doing," is just unnecessary.

Here's the hard truth: Kids change your life. And in a lot of circumstances, like mine, they BECOME your life. It's hard not to focus 100% on someone who needs you to do most everything for them 24/7 for a while. I've fairly recently started living by the motto "You chose this life." (Ask Chris, boy does he hate it when I say that to him!) If you don't want to see pics of my kid on social media, by all means, unfollow or unfriend me. If you don't want to hear about my kid, don't ask me about my day. Because I promise you, it involves 90% my child, and 10% the episode of House I got to watch while she was asleep.

If you don't want to hear my opinion on those articles asking me to stop mom-blogging, please - stop reading my blog. Don't click that link. It contains nothing you want to see or read.

The fact is, I love being a mom and all that comes with it. And I, for one, love sharing those experiences via social media or my blog with other moms, and other people who are truly interested in what my life is like. This is it, ya'll. Poopie diapers and precious smiles. Frustrating days, and moments I wish would never end.

This is me. It's not ALL of who I am, but let's face it - it's a good, fat chunk right now. And I'm going to continue to share my pictures, and I'm going to continue to ask mom questions, and I'm going to continue to write this blog and rant and rave about various things, mom related or not.

True friends and family will always accept when a big change happens in our lives, even if that change is not really wanted/welcomed/or is really, really annoying. So come on people, be kind to people who want kids. Or don't want kids. Both choices are great, and incredibly personal.

Rant over. Happy Tuesday! I hope all of my friends with kids enjoy their family day, and I hope all of my friends without kids enjoy their day doing whatever it is you do with no kids. (Seriously, I can't remember.)

Love,
Dominique

No comments:

Post a Comment