Pages

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Yelling is the New Crying - Life with a Full Blown Toddler These Days

Good morning!

Happy Tuesday to every one out there! Things sure have changed, even in the last month or so. We are approaching V's 14 month mark, and she seems to be growing in leaps and bounds. Sometimes sweet, sometimes grouchy, ALWAYS hilarious - this is what we're dealing with these days in our house.

1) Yelling is the new crying. Her new thing is to "talk" as loudly as possible if we are A)not paying attention to her. B)not watching what she wants to watch on Netflix. (turns out she's not a huge fan of House, M.D. Who knew?) and C) She doesn't feel like napping/going to bed yet/being contained in any way

2) Mealtimes are a whole new ball game. My once good eater, who would sit quietly and with wonder as I spoon fed her bites of pureed sweet potato and rice cereal, now takes meal time as a great time for her artistic expression, as well as her charitable giving to the dog. They share most of every meal, and her finger paintings with cheese sauce and spaghettios are quite good.

3)She has learned the word "No." and can shake her head as she says it. Enough said.

4)The battle of the runny nose being wiped every five seconds has been replaced with the battle of the teeth brushing. And said teeth are very sharp, and can clamp down like an iron vice grip on my hand if I get too close. It's a two man job, and just like when she hated getting her face wiped, she seems to grow three more arms while I am trying to brush those pearly whites.

5)  Bath time is splash time. Like a tiny Shamu show in our tiny Sea World, I am ALWAYS in the splash zone.

6)She's actually toddling now! She's still doing a walk/crawl combo, with most of it leaning towards crawling, but she is growing more confident every day and taking steps on her own. She claps her hands whenever she reaches her new destination, which has prompted her to love her new favorite song - "Applause" by Lady Gaga.

7) She's got mad dancing skills. She likes to booty drop while holding on to the furniture, and will bust a move to almost anything. Her favorites are (see above) "Applause," "Love is an Open door" from Frozen, and the ABC song.

8) On a non changing note - she still has no sense of Stranger Danger. We were at a trampoline arena (yeah, you read that right. It was AWESOME) and she just wandered up to a kindly old lady for a cuddle. Luckily the woman was thrilled, and I said "If you're ok with it, I'm ok with it."

9) She has no sense of any danger. 99% of our shopping trips now include me turning around to find her standing in the cart. I even try strapping her in, but she finds a way around it, the sneaky bugger. She also got her first big head bump the other day from our wood floors. She looked like she has been in Toddler Fight Club, but she took it like a champ. She also is a huge fan of trying to dive head first off of the furniture. Heaven help us. At least she's not a climber. Yet.

10) She's as moody as a teenager. She can (and does) go from laughing to crying in a smooth transition several times a day. To a point where sometimes I don't realize the mood has changed. The website "Reasons my son is crying." has a whole new meaning to me now.

She's still the most fun person to be around, and I'm still loving every minute of my time with her. She keeps me on my toes now, that's for certain. I can't wait to see the crazy that comes out of her toddler mouth when she's really talking more. I bet she'll have some real gems.

Thanks for reading, as always. We're off to the playroom to see what trouble we can get into now.

Love,
Dominique


No comments:

Post a Comment