Pages

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Lead by example...and then hide while you eat all of the candy.

As I sit here at 7:51am eating a slice of chocolate pie for breakfast, I have to wonder how I'm ever going to teach my child to not follow in a lot of my horrible examples.

The old saying, "Do as I say, not as I do." is basically just an older version of "Because I said so." Every child in the world knows that those four words hold more power but less substance than any other words uttered by parents around the world.

But we have to use them, and use them often. Knowing what is the right thing to do, and following it yourself are two different things. I know I shouldn't be eating this pie for breakfast, but I'm adult who makes my own choices, and it was in the break room. And it looked amazing. And I didn't bring anything else to eat.

So I justify it to myself, but if Violet ever wants to eat pie for breakfast, I would probably respond with a steadfast "I don't think so," and fix her something much healthier whether she likes it or not.

The fact is that parents are humans too. No matter how perfect we are in the eyes of our children, we are flawed, and we are weak, and we are going to make silly little mistakes and have to answer to our all-seeing children.

I, for one, am terrified of this. Eating sweets uncontrollably is only one of my indiscretions. I stay up too late sometimes. I put things off till the last minute. I won't shower for entire days on the weekends. I swear like a sailor when I'm truly angry or I am playing the wii (which, often, the two coincide), I eat Kraft macaroni and cheese for dinner more often than I should admit, and a vegetable rarely touches my lips.

But you know, not allowing your kids their every whim like we allow ourselves only makes it more special when we will allow it. I remember the feelings of joy I would get around the holidays when my mother would let me eat left over pie for breakfast, and we would sit at the table together, indulging in our unhealthy meal and I felt as if we were sharing a secret.

As much as I am my father's daughter, my sweet tooth is aaaalll my mom. It's one of the many things we've always had in common, and she's one of the few people who can truly understand my weakness for them. Particularly chocolate. Oh, how we love us some chocolate.

So those moments will always be precious to me because they were few and far between. I realize that the older my sweet V gets, the more I am going to have sacrifice a lot of my bad habits in order to teach her the right way to behave. But I can't promise I won't ever let her eat pie for breakfast, especially if it's just the two of us. I want her to know that silly little indulgences are ok every once in a while, and that mommy isn't perfect.

Well this chocolate confection isn't going to eat itself, so I better get back to it. Happy Wednesday!

Love,
Dominique

Busted!


No comments:

Post a Comment