Pages

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Ma Familia

With Thanksgiving and Christmas just around the corner, I find myself thinking a lot about my family. I realize that even though I reference them often, I haven't really talked much about my family. Not the one I have now, but the one I've always had, and grew up with.

I would say 90% of who I am was shaped by these people. With the other 10% being scattered between life experience and choices. Here's a little bit about the people I call "home."

First, my parents. They've been married for over 40 years now, and are still just as interested in talking to each other as the day they met. They have shown me what it means to be committed, through good times and bad, and I can only hope that I follow in their footsteps. My mom is typical and so special at the same time. She mispronounces celebrity names, always burns the bread, can strike the fear of God in our hearts with a single look and loves Lifetime movies and CSI. But she's also the most selfless person I've ever witnessed. That woman will do anything - seriously, ANYTHING, to help her family. She has sacrificed more than I will ever grasp, and only after I had a daughter of my own could I understand how much she embodies the true meaning of motherhood.

My dad is so dad-ish. Our phone conversations are limited to the weather, and when I last got my oil changed or how the baby is doing. He loves history, science, and sitting outside in the cool air with a bourbon and coke. He's very quiet, until he's not - and then watch out. He has considerably calmed in his older age, and even though he's strong and silent, I like to think I can always tell what he's thinking. I'm just like my dad. Reserved, clumsy and accepting. And for all of those traits I am grateful. Even being clumsy. A good bruise is a good story, and the little bumps make you more resilient, right?

My brother, Travis. The eldest, and the only boy, he silently suffered through his adolescence being surrounded by women. He's smart, kind, protective, and honestly the funniest person I have ever known. He loves music, independent films, and his wife and two daughters. He works harder than anyone I've ever seen. He'll always be on a pedestal to me. He used to rent movies with me every week and fall asleep on the floor when we were hanging out. He never treated me like a brat, even through our nine year age difference.

My sister Kerry. Kerry is a perfect combination of sensitive and strong. She's so busy. She works as a special education teacher full time, and on her "off" time, is usually scooting her two girls to a cheerleading practice or a birthday party. She is exhausted, and yet, whenever I call her she has time to talk. And more importantly, to listen. Kerry is a great listener. She never judges, and will stand her ground with you against anyone who has hurt you. She's the one I go to when I need help being a mom. She and my own mother are a combination of the mother I aspire to be.

My sister Katherine. Katherine is our family wild child, and our social butterfly. The life of every party, but also the one who stays to help you clean up. She has a million friends, but knows each and every one of them well. She's fiercely protective, and family means everything to her. She's usually the one standing along side me every holiday, keeping our traditions alive. She used to let me sneak into her room at night and watch Arsenio Hall. It was our thing.

My sister Deanna. Deanna has always been my mentor. She's smart, beautiful, funny and confident. She can and will do literally anything she puts her mind to. She's headstrong, and taught me one of the valuable lessons I'll always remember. "Never apologize for your feelings." I think about that, and I think about her. She indulged me in my silly little requests when we grew up sharing a room, like telling me stories of Disney World before I got to go see myself. Or doing monster checks in our closet, and listening to Mc Hammer and New Kids on the Block before we went to bed. She would also let me sneak into her bed every single night, even though she "fought it" and told me not to. She's the one I call when I need to vent, and when I need some strength.

So that's them. My family. The reason I love to go home. The reason my budding family is so important to me. The reason I am who I am. I can't wait to go home and see them all this holiday season!

Happy Tuesday!

Love,
Dominique





No comments:

Post a Comment