Pages

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Top Ten Baby Things I Couldn't Live Without

It's bloggy blog Wednesday, and honestly, I don't have a topic. But I love to write, so as I was thinking about adventures in mommyhood lately, I thought about how I've had two pregnant friends ask me recently for a list of the things I just couldn't live without to aid them in creating their registry.

I, too, had to do this, but my dear friend Katie did me the solid of actually going with me to create my registry. Since not everyone has recently pregnant friends that can go with them, I thought I'd compile a list of the top ten things I couldn't live without, and why.(In no particular order)

1) Swing/bouncer. The old tale that a new mother never sleeps is not really particularly true. Newborns sleep an average of 16-20 hours a day (unfortunately, mostly during the day), so you need something convenient to keep an eye on them and maybe be able to grab some shut eye yourself. (repeat after me: SLEEP WHEN THE BABY SLEEPS.) I had both of these and for the first 3-4 months, she adored her bouncer. Now it's the swing that allows me to do dishes for her evening nap. Babies have different moods just like everyone else, so offer a few different things. *Bonus* A colicky baby will sometimes sleep much better in an inclined position, so a swing or bouncer can aid with this.

2) Swaddle blankets. Nothing disturbs the peacefulness of a new baby more than the flailing of their still tiny arms. I, and several other friends, have the Aden + Anais brand linen blankets. They are sweet, breathable, large and soft. They also make excellent car seat covers for chilly days or quick trips to the store during cold and flu season.

3) Bottles. (I like Tommy Tippee, but a lot of people say good things about Dr. Brown) Even if you think you will exclusively be breast feeding, introducing bottles between 3 and 6 weeks is a MUST. Sure, you could get away with it, but bottle feeding will be a life saver in the following situations:
a) working mothers
b) lengthy road trips
c) long day trips
d) middle of the night feedings (yes, dad can help too now!)
Plus, anything can happen, and your baby may become a formula baby for whatever reason. Get them adjusted before it's too late.

4) Onesies and Footy sleepers. Yes, it's adorable when little babies wear tiny jeans and sweater vests. But keep in mind that you may be changing the clothes on said baby 3-4 times a day after they spit up and poop on everything. Not to mention the 10-12 diapers a DAY you'll be changing. Get something that's comfortable, washable, and easy to get on and off. Trust me.

5) A great, electric, double breast pump. I was fortunate enough to be able to borrow this, as they can be pricey - but if you want to breast feed, this will aid you tremendously. A single hand pump could take you anywhere from an hour to three hours to get what an electric pump could get in 30-45 minutes. And since a good pumper pumps at least three times a day - that's time you don't have.

6) A video monitor. Also a pricey item, a lot of people find this one unnecessary. I, however, LOVE my video monitor. Around 4 months, she started waking up in the middle of the night just talking to herself. To the untrained ear, this can sound a lot like the beginning of crying. With a video monitor, you can check your baby from the comfort of your bed to determine if you really need to get up, or they're just telling their dreams to the crib bumpers. Also, seeing Mommy or Daddy in the middle of the night might equate to playtime.

7)Burp cloths - you can not have enough of these! They will get used for EVERYTHING, from cleaning up spit up to wiping poop off of your hands. They will also get left all around your house, so it's important that one is handy when you need it.

8)A large diaper bag with lots of compartments. It's necessary to separate all of the little things that you need to keep baby happy on an outing for easy access. You don't want to run into a meltdown in Target for 30 minutes while you sit on the floor searching desperately for the soothie and gas drops.

9) A baby carrier. No, not the car seat. One for actual baby wearing. I have the ERGO, and love it. When she is being particularly needy and doesn't want to be put down, I can keep her close to my chest and still be hands free to do dishes or pick up around the house. Katie also uses hers for grocery shopping now that her little boy is too old/big to take in his car seat every time.

10) A stroller, or at the very least a stroller frame. The difference being one is designed to grow with your child, and one is simply a cheap set of wheels for your car seat. Car seats are heavy, and SHOCKER - they get heavier with your baby in them. For all of the doctor's visits, and trips around the neighborhood or shopping, a stroller is a must unless you want your arms to fall off. If you're a runner, get a jogging stroller. They're smooth rides for all terrain, so you can work on your fitness and show little Junior the world.

Of course there are the obvious things - diapers, wipes, towels and washcloths. But these are the things people may not think they need at first - and could end up being the sanity saver we new moms so desperately crave for the first year.

I hope you enjoyed my list. Happy Wednesday!

Love,
Dominique




No comments:

Post a Comment