Pages

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Dirty 30? Flirty 30? How about just plain ol' 30.

Guess what I get to do in less than two months? Say farewell to my 20's. I can't tell you how many TV shows or movies I've seen that portray a 30th birthday as the death of all your childhood. Something to be feared and anticipated with anxiety.


Here's my little secret: I've never feared my 30's.

I always hoped that by that time I would be mostly settled and have at least some control over my life. Sure, I'm not *totally* there yet, but let's look at my fact sheet:


  • I have a totally awesome boo. That's right, I managed to get my act together long enough when I was 26 to trick someone into marrying me. And he bought it. 
  • I own one half of a piece of property. While this is pretty standard for a lot of America, in the 1800s I would be a total bad-ass. 
  • I have a good job, and more importantly, good benefits. Who gets excited about health insurance and 401(k)'s? I do. This stuff matters now. 
  • I have a pretty adorable, healthy kid. You may have heard me talk about her. She's awesome, and she makes this face a lot:
Now, I'm not saying this to brag. I'm still a hot mess in many, many categories. But as far as the bulk of my life, I feel pretty good about where I am. I am thankful for what I have, and still excited about what is to come. So what should I do to celebrate this milestone in my years? I've never been big on my own birthday, but I feel like this one is special. I'd like to really "do it up right." Any suggestions?

Love, 
Dominique

PS- whatever I do, you're all invited!

2 comments:

  1. Get a tattoo! Just kidding!!! I did a day of all my favorite things!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joy, I would totally get a tattoo. A small Violet would be pretty and appropriate, but alas, I hate pain. A day of my favorite things? That sounds like a good idea.

    ReplyDelete